Broadstone Christian Nursery is a free flow environment and allows children to move freely indoors and outdoors. Free flow play is said to provide a rich learning environment for young children.
What is free flow?
“A free flow environment is used with children in Early Years settings and allows children to move freely indoors and outdoors. Free flow play is said to provide a rich learning environment for young children.”
Why free flow play helps children develop?
“It gives children more space and freedom to explore the world around them. It encourages children to take risks and make their own decisions. It boosts childrens mental and physical well being and confidence.”
Ways in which free flow can benefit children’s development;
- Greater independence - As children are able to access the different environments freely it helps them develop greater independence. They are able to make those independent choices as to whether they play outdoors or access activities inside. Older children especially thrive on being given extra responsibilities and this will help them later on in life.
- Progress at own pace - Children shouldn’t be rushed in their learning, it should be about giving children time to fully embrace the skills they are learning. Free flow gives children the opportunity to develop at their own pace, they can decide to either spend the morning outside participating in the stimulating activities or sitting at the table manipulating play dough.
- Decision making - As children are able to choose where they would like to play and with what, this is developing their decision making skills. As they get older they will begin to learn that their choices may have consequences.
- Physical well being - Offering children the choice, especially the outdoors, enables them the opportunity to run around and build on their physical skills. The outdoor space is great for those children who prefer to be outdoors, as practitioners can use their skills and mirror the indoor activities outdoors.
- Learning about the different environments - As children explore the different environments it opens up many learning opportunities as they discover the difference between inside and outside.
Taken from Early Years.